Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Broccoli Salad


There are some things in life that are inherently good, easily appreciated without any frills, exemplary from existence.  Allow me to provide some examples:

A sunny summer's day is wonderfully warm and relaxing.  But, a sunny summer's day with ice cream dripping from its cone down the side of your hand, and not having to care about the sticky trail it leaves as you indulgently lick your skin clean, that is summer perfection.

Reading a long book while curled in bed after noon in your favorite flannel pajamas is a nice treat.  But, reading in bed while a warm kitten sits atop your stomach and kneads the dough of your flabby abs is a lazy morning at its finest.

Getting a new job--and a job you actually love--is like winning the Grown-up Award of the Year Ever.  But, wearing a spiffy new outfit to a new job, feeling like you're moving in the right direction, knowing that you're walking down the life path that you're (probably, hopefully, Lord-willing) meant to take, that's not good, it's great.

And so, broccoli.

Broccoli is good.  Well, broccoli is good for you, at least.  But, Broccoli with bacon is best.

This broccoli salad takes a good vegetable and makes it goooooood.  This transformation easily comes about with some bacon, and other goodies.  But, best of all?  It's ridiculously simple to make and tastes too good to be so easy.  Best just became bestest.

[On a side note, can I just say that I love how Trader Joe's makes me feel like I'm being a classy lady and buying a bottle of red wine instead of, well, vinegar.  That's something good--an adorable bottle--made better--a catalyst to imagine a fantasy life].


Broccoli Salad

Yields:  about 14 side-dish servings

Ingredients: 

6-7 cups of broccoli florets (about 3 crowns of broccoli, chopped)
1 cup mayonnaise (I like Kraft mayo with olive oil)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup roasted and salted, shelled sunflower kernels 
8 slices applewood smoked bacon, crumbled

Directions

Chop and rinse broccoli, set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and sugar with a whisk.  Stir in chopped red onion.  Add broccoli to bowl and toss until broccoli is well-coated in the dressing.  Refrigerate bowl for 2 to 24 hours.

Before serving, cook bacon until crispy and allow to drain.  Stir raisins and sunflower seeds into the salad.  Crumble bacon on top of the broccoli just before serving.  







5 comments:

  1. Our cat loves to knead us when we're in bed. Or almost any other time, too. Nice salad. I usually don't make mine sweet, but it really looks appealing in this recipe. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. This is why I love coming back to your blog. Ice cream and reading with kitty cuddles are pretty much the epitome of my summer. Trader Joe's always makes me feel like a classy lady, haha - their packaging is always so perfect. Bacon always makes things better; I've never actually tasted broccoli salad, although my aunt makes it for just about every family occasion. I should probably get over my inner child veggie hate and try it next time.
    Congrats on getting a job you love! That's so hard to come by these days - lucky you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Yes, I used to call the cat kneading "making biscuits" haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment, Mel! I have been bad with commenting lately :-/ In other words, I have been distracted by summer vacation! But yes, try some broccoli salad, and in the meantime I will meander over to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, don't even worry about commenting! It's very off and on with me, too. Summer vacation is totally necessary. :)

    ReplyDelete