Saturday, August 25, 2012

White Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


These are dainty cookies.  These are cookies you eat while wearing lace gloves at a tea party in a quaint English garden.  In just a few polite bites, you can eat one (or two or three) of these cookies without looking like a glutton.  You can look like a proper, fancy lady.

Unless you're me.  I eat one of these cookies and end up with powdered sugar on my nose and white sugary dust all over my black pants.  "Why yes, I did just finish plastering that house over yonder."  

A small price to pay for several bites of a sweet and satisfying, bejeweled oatmeal cookie.  

These cookies allow me to indulge both my sweet tooth and my fantasy life as a fancy lady.  In my imagination, I can eat dainty cookies like these because I myself am a dainty lady.  In reality, I'm kind of a klutz:  

"No, those are not marks of abuse on my legs.  I just ran into that ________ (insert inanimate object of your choosing) for the umpteenth time."

Running, running, running along the bluffs overlooking the ocean--"Hey, look at that pelican over there."  Trip. Ow.

"I'll eat with the fork in my left hand because that's what classy Europeans do."  Do classy Europeans also manage to toss their sautéed squash into their laps? Fancy ladies like this girl do.

Eat a cookie, dream away, use a napkin.


White Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Ocean Spray

Yields: About 50 small cookies

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup white chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium sized bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract using.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking soda, and spices.  Gradually add this mixture to the egg mixture, a cup at a time.  Blend well with an electric mixture.

Stir in cranberries and white chocolate chips.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a slightly greased cookie sheet.  Optional: gently flatten dough with a fork dipped in flour.  Dough will not flatten much on its own.

Bake cookies at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove cookies from cookie sheet immediately and cool on a wire rack.

When cookies have completely cooled, dust cookies with powdered sugar.  Add several spoonfuls of powdered sugar to a wire mesh strainer and gently shake and tap strainer to make it snow.







3 comments:

  1. Napkins are good. ;-) These are fancy indeed - look great. I usually don't get powdered sugar on my nose. The rest of me, yes, but usually not the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. White chocolate and cranberries are sooo good in cookies. I posted a cookie on my blog along time ago with that combo, but sans oatmeal. I bet the oats make them even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, the Smart Cookie CookSeptember 19, 2012 at 4:18 AM

    Haha, if it makes you feel any better, I am a huge slob/klutz too, regardless of how hard I try for the opposite. These cookies look wonderful, in fact they seem kinda perfect for Christmas cookie season which is fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete