Saturday, May 19, 2012

Trader Joe's Multi-Grain Pancake Mix: Fancified


How do you feel about shortcuts?  Do you take them?  Do you make them?  Do you think they are a sign of laziness?

I tend to avoid them when I'm walking (unless I'm late), because I enjoy the extra exercise and fresh air.

I try not to take them when I am doing homework since I feel like I am compromising my (expensive) college education.

In cooking, however, I greatly appreciate them.  Especially on a Saturday morning when I have slept-in and awake to find myself craving Harvest Nut n' Grain pancakes from IHOP.

That's  when Trader Joe's Multigrain Baking and Pancake Mix comes in handy.  With a few extra ingredients + some love, Saturday morning breakfast start the weekend right.

This is not an endorsement (paid or otherwise) for Trader Joe's or their products.  I just really happen to like this product.  That being said...Trader Joe's, I will welcome any donations of foodstuffs that you would graciously like to donate to this humble blog :)






Multigrain Banana Nut Pancakes: Fancified

Yields: 6-8 pancakes

Ingredients:

1 cup TJ's Multigrain Baking Mix
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 cup chopped walnuts
banana slices and maple syrup 

Directions:

Whisk baking mix, soy milk, egg, oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg until smooth.  Stir in chopped walnuts.  

On a lightly greased griddle over medium heat, pour 1/4 cup pancake mix per pancake.  Cook on one side until air bubbles form around the edges of pancake, and then flip with a spatula.   Cook on other side until golden brown (about 1 to 1 1/2 minute more).

Serve warm.



3 comments:

  1. I take short cuts in cooking all the time. Although I have to say, it's so easy to throw together pancake batter, that's one shortcut I rarely take! But I've had some super good pancake mixes in the past, so it's always worth experimenting. My favorite cooking shortcut is frozen ravioli and jarred tomato pasta sauce. Although I'm able to buy really good locally produced ravioli, and the red sauce comes from good Italian restaurants where I live (I'm lucky I can buy this stuff). Anyway, good post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah...pancakes aren't too difficult to make on their own, but a box mix certainly cuts down on the time it takes from rolling out of bed to eating breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I love shortcuts. I regularly use pre-made pie and pizza crusts, jarred pasta sauce, etc. I think you can get that homemade taste by dressing them up like you did with this pancake mix.

    ReplyDelete