Thursday, May 3, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins


This quarter I am taking a class for fun, "Beginning Ballroom Dance."  It's fun, but also funny.  In fact, it's hilarious.  

I am awkward.  I step on my partners' toes when I dance the Tango, my knees bump into theirs when I attempt the Samba, and don't get me started on Latin hips.

Good dancing is about grace--finesse.

Of which, I have none.  At least these muffins have a little empathy for me in their sweet little blueberry juice filled hearts.


These muffins are the opposite of finesse.  These are hearty muffins.  Lumberjack mountain men in muffin tins.

Whole wheat flour, brown sugar, blueberries and banana.  Back to nature, dense, and filling...with a sweet side too. 

And that's the other thing I've learned: grace can be learned.  There may be hope for my dancing (and my unfortunate and injured dance partners) yet.  


Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, 15th ed."Make-It-Mine Muffins"

Yield: 12 medium sized muffins

Ingredients:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 large banana, mashed until smooth
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup frozen blueberries
extra brown sugar for the top

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.  Line a muffin tin with paper cups or grease well.  

In a large bowl, stir flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Make a well in the center of the mixture.

In a medium bowl, mash or purée banana until smooth.  Add soy milk and vegetable oil.  Mix.

Add liquid to well in center of flour mixture.  Stir until just dampened (lumpy is good!).  Fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into muffin pan until 2/3 of the way full, or just to the top for a slightly bigger muffin.  Sprinkle brown sugar over the tops of each muffin cup.

Bake muffins for 15-18 minutes or until browned on the top and a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the inner muffins comes out clean.  

Cool muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Remove muffins from cups and eat warm, or allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.  







6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I have no grace. At all. Whatsoever. But who needs grace in the face of good muffins? These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so uncoordinated and that's why I would never take a class like that. Good for you for doing it, toe-stepping and all! :) I love a good, hearty muffin like this for breakfast--so much more filling than the ones that are basically glorified cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the light on the 2nd photo - it showcases the texture of the muffin tops. And who can resist a muffin? Not me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks, Kiersten. Although, I wouldn't mind eating a cupcake for breakfast every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Yes, muffins are ADDICTING.

    ReplyDelete