Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pasta Salad



This is another one of my favorite meals, so it simply had to be made for my week home.  I ended up having pasta salad two dinners in a row, because it is just SO good.  In my opinion, the dish is almost better the second day as the dressing really soaks into the broccoli and croutons...mmmm, yes.  I almost begin to salivate as I write this.  Good thing there is a pan of fresh brownies sitting just feet away from my keyboard.  No.  Restraint, have a little self-control.  Anyways, pasta salad.  The original recipe was called "pizza salad," but as I don't make it with the pepperoni, I felt the snazzy name would be a bit ridiculous.  I guess that just goes to prove, as my good friend Willy says, "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet," or in modernspeak "this recipe is delicious no matter what you call it.

Pasta Salad

Serves: 16

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb spiral colored macaroni; cooked and drained
  • 1-3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/4-1/2 lb cheddar cheese cubed
  • 1/2 bunch slice green onions
  • 3 oz pepperoni (or salami, or NEITHER)
  • 3 crowns of broccoli

 Dressing (combine in a small bowl):
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c water
  • 2/3 c grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 c red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder 
Directions:
Mix salad and dressing well, refrigerate several hours. Top with croutons before serving.

Suggestions:
Looking for a little spice? Make Southwestern Pasta Salad! This is my mother's fabulous variation on the original recipe. In place of the usual vinaigrette use a mixture of 1-1.5 C ranch dressing, 1/2 c green taco sauce, and 3 Tb dry taco seasoning mix. Then, substitute 1 can of black beans, and 1 can of corn, pepper jack cheese, and crushed tortilla chips for broccoli, cheddar, and croutons. Other nice add-ins to the original recipe: kidney beans, and black olives (not to my taste, but some like them).

No comments:

Post a Comment