Sunday, April 25, 2010

Survival Cooking

Some RAs from my building just put on a program for us helpless little college students to teach us how to cook easy meals for when we go out on our own in the years to come.  I appreciated the event, but I couldn't help but notice that there were only about 5 residents at the program while the food was being made (that would be the important part, the instruction, you see); yet, as the smell of food wafted down the hall, our kitchen/lounge area became flooded with college students.  Therefore, I watched, I ate, and I left. 

Unfortunately I didn't have a chace to take pictures, but the RAs made some delicicous (and EASY) bagel concoctions.

Ingredients:
  • Mini bagels, cut in half
  • Cream cheese
  • Pesto
  • Tomato, sliced
  • Grated cheese blend (like a bag of Kraft)
Directions:
Lay out bagel halves on a cookie sheet.  Spread with 1 T of cream cheese.  Then spread with 1 T of pesto.  Cover with a slice of tomato.  Sprinkle each bagel with a little cheese.  Place sheet in the oven on low heat (300F-350F) until cheese on top melts. 

I was happy with the taste and texture of the little appetizer.  However, I think this is one of those meals that could benefit from being "healthified."  I think if I made it, I might substitue whole wheat mini bagels, low fat cream cheese, and low fat 1% grated cheese.  Even the pesto could be substituted for some lemon pepper, as one of the cooks said.  If anything, the substitutions might make the dish even more delicious.

1 comment: