Monday, August 9, 2010

Popcorn, Peach Sorbet, and Deformed Lemon


I haven't been doing much baking, even though I have had access to a kitchen and a lot of time on my hands.  I guess that is the result of summer laziness. 

An outrageous occurrence in early June left me in a sad state of eating mush.  A bowl of popcorn is was my favorite night time snack when mixed with a handful of raisins.  Yet, in indulging one night a popcorn hull became lodged between my tooth and gum tissue and enjoyed itself wreaking havoc with my white blood cells.  Two treatments of antibiotics, a taste-bud altering mouthwash, approximately 10 injections of anesthetic, and a laser procedure to pull back the flap of my gum, and finally I am healed!  I was put on a "soft foods diet" for a week after all that fun.  Yay.  Not.

Thankfully, adversity breeds creativity.  Tired of eating pudding, soup, and ravioli, one night I decided to make a refreshing, fruit dessert.

I decided on Peach Sorbet.  Out came the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker!

First I blended:
1 C fat-free vanilla yogurt
1 C frozen diced peaches
3 TB lemon juice, mixed with 1 TB water

After about 10 minutes in the ice cream maker, I put the good stuff in a container in the freezer for about 3 hours.  When I came back to enjoy, I was disappointed with how hard it had become.  Perhaps this was the result of not enough fat, or too much liquid?  The freezing also took away some of the sweetness, so next time I might add a little sugar or *gasp of horror* Splenda.  The mixture itself, however, would make a great smoothie, especially for those who like them a little sour with that splash of lemon in there.

Before I close, a note about lemons:
I have a lemon tree in my back yard (yes, I am very lucky, I know).  The lemons are always delicious, even though one that I used in the dessert isn't what one would call "classically beautiful."

Case in point:

(A lemon that wanted to be a chili)

Cross sectioned:


Believe it or not, this little guy actually tasted good.  I guess this is mother nature also trying to tell us that it is what is on the inside that matters...haha, cliches.

No comments:

Post a Comment