Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Coconutty Pumpkin Snack Cake


Even the deliciousness of this cake cannot erase the sadness I must share.  I have baked my last this summer, and in one day I must return to college.  To ring in the new school year I decided to make something reminiscent of autumn and all its warm flavors, yet I wanted something easy and with as little mess as possible.  Snack cake! 

I suppose it is called snack cake because you can throw it together, like a snack; but this cake really sticks to your bones, so don't let the name fool you.  For a little extra decadence I added a broiled coconut and almond topping.

The cake is prepared in the pan, leaving you with barely any clean up and more time to enjoy your dessert!

Cake adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook; and "Broiled Coconut Topping" from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Cake ingredients:
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.  Mix flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices with fork in an ungreased square pan, 8x8x12".  Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  While cake is baking prepare broiled coconut topping: beat 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 2 tablespoons softened butter until combined.  Stir in 1 tablespoon milk, 1/2 cup flaked coconut and 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds because that was all I had).  Immediately spread mixture on top of cake when it comes out of oven.  Broil for 3 to 4 minutes about 4 inches from heat until golden brown.
Cool in pan on wire rack.  
Serve warm.

For even more decadence, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment