Monday, July 25, 2011

First Meals

June 17th I moved into my own very first place (financed by parents and student loans, of course).  It is an exciting and scary time.  I have had to learn to feed myself, and not rely on the glorious salad bar from the dormitory dining hall: O how I miss thee, fair selection of organic and local produce, and the occasional oddity like miniature corn. 
It has been pretty warm here, so I haven't wanted to turn on the oven too much.  I have, however, made copious amounts of granola...

Tried my hand at mashed potatoes...


Made Trader Joe's Multi-grain Pancakes from a wholesome and tasty box mix (farewell Bisquick)...


And Made Mom's Pasta Salad, all on my own...


When I'm not eating leftovers, it's mostly salads, quesadillas, and sandwiches.  Easy, but satisfying.
Which reminds me, I recently saw an interview with Anderson Cooper where he said that he goes through phases where he "rediscovers" food.  Three of his favorites are protein shakes, egg whites, and PB&J sandwiches.  I think Anderson and I would get along pretty well.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a Crock Pot yet? It's so easy to use to make things like soaps and pot roast. If you have the freezer space, you can make a large batch of something and freeze it into smaller portions for quick meals later.

    I completely relate to being scared when moving out on your own for the first time. The hardest thing for me was learning to cook for one.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. @outtakesontheoutskirts

    I don't have a crock pot, but it is definitely on my wishlist! My mom has one that she uses to make chile verde and she absolutely loves it.

    ReplyDelete