Friday, June 29, 2012

Hummus


Hummus.  Humble.  

This recipe is nothing special, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

I hope that statement holds true for the new apartment I now call home.  The window blinds were covered in black dust, the smoke detector didn't work, and somebody had punched in the bathroom door.  Still, its little quirks, once fixed (and even once more were discovered), ultimately made it endearing to me.

Like my abode, hummus may be humble.  Yet, it certainly has a lot to boast about.  Chock full of protein and flavor, but without any fat, hummus makes for a delightful spread on your sandwich or pita, a creamy dip for your veggies, or a refreshing cool bite eaten with a spoon directly from the fridge.


Hummus

Ingredients:

2 15 oz. cans of chickpeas
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water reserved from chickpea cans
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for topping
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Blend chickpeas and can liquid in a food processor until slightly mixed but still grainy.  Add in spices.  Blend until smooth, scraping sides of food processor if necessary.

*Note: this recipe can be easily adjusted to fit your taste.  Ingredients for which I have listed "1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon..." can be added to this recipe as much or as little as you desire.





4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I adore adore adore hummus. Thanks for the recipe, because now I'm totally jonesing for some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never get hummus right. :( I am a giant hummus failure! Yours looks much creamier and delicious-er (sorry, it's too hot to be articulate) than mine.

    Good luck with your new apartment! Our last one was filthy when we moved in too AND it had a hole punched through the bathroom door! Maybe the people who lived in our apartment then moved to yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Much has been fixed since I moved in, so that is a relief. I have yet to make hummus in the new apartment, but that is on the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete